13 July 2013

Surname Saturday - A Shorter List?!

Good Saturday, Everyone!

Well, I thought it was time for an update to my list of Surnames. I'm getting ready to head to Ft. Wayne, Indiana for the Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference 2013, so I'm working on a Research Plan that will focus on filling in the direct lines I haven't researched before. For the foreseeable future, I will not be working to actively gather evidence on collateral lines; my goal is to finish my complete tree, four generations out, by the end of this year. Going forward, my plan is to tackle one line in the 5th generation coming forward to the present every six months. I may need more or less time, but since I haven't used the genealogical proof standard in my research in the past, I feel like it's a reasonable goal.  

Having said that, I'm keeping the lines of communication open for ALL my lines. I'm very happy to say that I have some new cousins in my Leatherman and Barnes lines; I'd love to add more! So, if you would be so kind to share this post out to your extended social media network, I'd be very grateful. And, if you leave me a comment with a link to your blog, I'll be sure to reciprocate! 

The surname list is in two parts: the first part are my direct proven lines, those that I've satisfied an exhaustive search or have complete evidence to ensure accuracy. The second part are my direct lines that I'm still gathering evidence to prove. 

Direct Line Surnames of Laura Cosgrove Lorenzana (proven; p = paternal, m = maternal):

ALSTAETTER (ALSTÄTTER) p - origin from 1827, Darmstadt, Germany
BARNES p - origin from 1846, OH
BEIGHTLER p (also BEIGHLER, BEIGLER, BIGLER) - origin from ~ 1803, PA
COSGROVE p - origin from 1860s, Ireland (confirmed through paternal DNA)
DURKIN p - origin from 1863, England (line to Ireland, paternal DNA)
GARRETT (GARRET) m - origin from 1824, NY (location not confirmed) (matrilineal DNA)
GREENE m - origin from 1753, RI
JEFFREY m - origin from 1829, Scotland (location not confirmed)
LEATHERMAN p - origin from 1825, OH
NICOL (NICHOL) m - origin from 1837, Toronto, Canada (Canada West)
POWELSON m - origin from 1785, NJ
RICHARDS m - origin from ~ 1790, (may be OH/KY, location not confirmed)
WAGNER m - origin from 1806, Moselle, Lorraine, France
WERSEL m - origin from 1805, Utrecht, Netherlands

Direct Line Surnames of Laura Cosgrove Lorenzana (researching; p = paternal, m = maternal):

AMRINE (AMERINE) p - origin from ~ 1807, possibly PA (with Beightler)
BRINKMAN m - origin from 1790s, daughter born in Utrecht, Netherlands (with Wersel, Valkenburg)
BURROWS (BURROWES) m - origin from 1712, NJ (with Greene)
GEERLING m - origin from 1750s, Netherlands (with Wicart, Wersel)
HENSGEN m - origin from 1808, France (with Wagner, Wersel)
MEEKER m - origin from 1750s, NJ (with Burrows, Greene)
MESSLER  m (may be derivative spelling) - origin from 1780s, location unknown (with Powelson)
METSELSER m (may be derivative spelling) - origin from ~ 1720, location unknown (with Powelson)
PENN m - origin from before 1789, MD (with Richards)
TUNIS m - origin from 1750s, location unknown (with Meeker, Burrows)
VALKENBURG m - origin from 1771, location unknown (with Brinkman, Wersel)
WALLACE m - origin from 1780s, unknown location (with Greene)
WATERS m - origin from 1720s, location unknown (with Burrows)
WICART m (WIKART, WIEKART) - origin from 1750s, Netherlands (with Geerling, Wersel)

I hope everyone has a fabulous Saturday. It's a gorgeous day here in cow country and I'm heading out into my yard to do some much needed cleanup. Seems to be a trend...

Have you created a surname list to share? Do you like to 'hoard' names, or do you have a plan you follow? How do you find cousins to share the evidence you've acquired with?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura. For your Netherlands families, have you used 'Yvette's Dutch Genealogy Homepage'? It provided a major breakthrough for one of my friends. Yvette works at the National Archives of the Netherlands. There is a link to her page on her 'meet the team' profile at 'Genealogists for Families'.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my blog!