01 January 2012

Sentimental Sunday - The New Year (and Me) Begins

I am a lazy procrastinator. Yup. It's true. These are my worst qualities, the ones it's taken me many years to acknowledge, embrace and try to overcome. As an extremely independent person, I'm the queen of doling out *great* advice, but of course, the worst at taking it. And so it was that as I watched everyone posting their updates on their 2011 goals, and new goals for 2012, I started to twitch.

In all honesty, I've never made a New Years' Resolution. Heck, again, I didn't set goals for myself, outside of my work life. And I've been joking lately that I picked vocations where things never end, where you're never truly finished: Archives and Genealogy. 

There are two amazing things I learned in 2011: I'm frighteningly competitive. Seriously, if you dare me to do something (not in a grammar-school I-bet-you-won't-eat-that-worm kinda way), or say I can't do something, guess what? I will go to Herculean effort to make that thing happen, to learn the skill I need, to research something, anything to get that thing done. The other thing I learned? That when I put some effort into finding people to help me be the very best me I can be, there are some fabulous people out in the world. In the genealogy world in particular, but in my business and personal life as well. 

By the way, if you don't have a genealogy buddy or two, find them! Talking about what we do is one of the best ways to uncover things you didn't realize were there, to see the error in your logic, to see the successes you didn't realize you had, and to generally feel awesomeness. And if you don't think you can find one, or you're shy, send me an email. I'LL be your buddy. 

Here goes: I am going to research and attempt to prove the connection between Estella Wersel (1874-1954) and her long-time companion Stella Piper (unkn-1965).

Estella Wersel c 1890
Estella Wersel c 1910

I am putting my money where my mouth is with regard to those of us who are Last Leaves; Stella and Pipa lived together in California, and when Stella died her very large estate was held in Trust to provide support for Pipa until she died in 1965. They are buried in the same space in a Mausoleum in a cemetery in California. I have no proof of the nature of their relationship, only conjecture based on their ending. I want to know much more about their story and am going to do what I can to uncover it. 

Woo Hoo! I set a goal! Now let's see how I do.  

11 comments:

  1. You are going to ace this! I can't wait to see you recap in December after learning about Stella and Pipa through 2012. I stand by my words (you are going to ROCK this) and I stand by you (and will do anything to support you!) So glad to have been blessed with your friendship in 2011. Bring on May!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to learning the story of these two! It has to be a good story right? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crying do you know that? It's been a very difficult morning and your post made me feel soooo good. Thank you! And I know you will be amazing in 2012. Let me know if you can go with Terri and I Friday night so I can RSVP Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I am so excited that you set a goal. I cannot wait to see what you find out about these two ladies.

    2011 has been an awesome year for genealogy and friendships. I am so glad for many of the people that I have met this last year and consider everyone of you friends (even the ones I have not met). I look forward to what 2012 brings for all of us.

    Hope you can go on Friday night, because I know we will have a great time. We always do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thank you SO much ladies...this is exactly what I mean. Jen, I didn't mean to make you cry, but understand. :-) I will definitely be going Friday...I'll email/text/Tweet you...LOL. Terri...Looking forward to seeing you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on setting a goal! You'll do great. I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great goal, Laura. I look forward to reading along as you uncover the story of their relationship, and all the other great posts you deliver. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on getting help to set your goals, and good luck with the research. Look forward to hearing how you get on, and I like the buddy idea. Happy New Year! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's obvious that you have a lot of geniebuddies interested in seeing you succeed. It is a great feeling to know that we can get such support from people in our circles and/or members of Geneabloggers. I'll be checking in during 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see how this story evolves. Will follow their story through the year and your progress on this new goal of yours!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my blog!