26 March 2012

Madness Monday - Not Your Granny's Genealogists

So, if I'm crazy this counts as a 'Madness Monday' post, right? 

OK, I admit it: I used 'Madness Monday' because it seemed only fitting after the insane weekend the Midwest Geneabloggers had at the Allen County Public Library in Ft. Wayne, IN. I cannot say enough great things about the Library, what's around the Library, Tina Lyons, and well, everyone who was there!

First, there were a few people that I simply didn't have time to really connect with, and I regret not being more open with some of you. At one point on Saturday, I'd gotten up to get some books, and when I came back into the room, there wasn't a single person who didn't have their head down either in a book, madly typing on a laptop or taking pictures with an iPad or Smartphone. It. Was. Awesome. We're talking at least 20 Genealogists, tearing it up. And, as each moment ticked by, I felt like there was more and more that I wasn't going to have a chance to look at, which made me feel a bit tense. 

But, I digress. Here are the things I believe many of us took away from this wonderful weekend:

1. Ft. Wayne is surprisingly affordable. Much discussion happened about how expensive conferences are, and how challenging it is for many of us to be able to go to them. The Midwest Geneabloggers Meetup provided access to a world-class genealogy library and no less than 15 well qualified genealogists. I spent about $100 for the entire weekend (2 nights, food, gas)...what a bargain! Granted, I shared a room with three lovely ladies (which meant we didn't sleep a whole lot), but that just made it even better.

2. Did I mention the Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center is ridiculously amazing? The Family History section is just that: a huge room filled with books written about families. The library is extremely well organized, the lighting is excellent and the chairs are meant for researchers who sit for long periods of time. Wifi is free and provides access to the Library's catalog and all their databases, so you can work from your own computer. I didn't even get the opportunity to utilize the Microfilm room, but I understand their collection is excellent. Just bring a sweater for the room.

3. Downtime with other genealogists is a must. We all have lives. Some of them are messier than others. Often, we think our messes can't possibly be topped. And, then you meet someone who's mess DOES top yours. Or, that your experience with your mess helps someone else with theirs, or vice versa. The kicker is that they frame their messes the same way you do: through the prism of our love for genealogy. Which means we adore our families, no matter how disastrous they seem. And for those of you without messes? There's a few of those out there too!! The most important aspect though is the opportunity to discuss current events, methodology questions, research questions and the like with a room full of really passionate genealogists. It refills your tank so you can get back to what you were working on with renewed purpose and focus.

4. It just makes sense to have another Genealogist look at your research. Often as I looked around, I saw people huddled together in conference. Sometimes it was to ask if something made sense, or to confirm a big find. There were some great moments when you'd hear a restrained 'YES!!' from someone who'd found another piece of their puzzle. We shared it, and it was just fabulous. There were some tentative questions too. There were a number of people there that had never been in a repository before. They weren't sure where to start or what to look for. Guess what? You have 15+ genealogists at your disposal!! Score!

5. JK O'Donnells. So, there were a few of us who fell in love with this place. It's the Irish pub around the corner from the Library. Great food, beverages (especially of the frosty version) and it was the perfect place for use to hang out and discuss. Loudly. With Laughter. Ask for ...oh, Terri O'Connell, help me out! Was it Megan? Melissa? No, Not Melissa. Erg. Our waitress was awesome. Leave it to a Genealogist to forget a living person's name. Anyway, great place to go when you go to the Library. 

You ARE going to the Library, right? See you in October ;-)

13 comments:

  1. It was Meghan, tomorrow I will have a post up about the restaurant and the lovely Meghan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri! I need to have more confidence in my own memory...LOL.

      Delete
  2. It was so much fun to research and party with everyone. Can't wait to do it again! Thanks for coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope that I can make it next time! It sounds like it is just what I need to help this fledgling genealogist with common problems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is perfect for that. There were several people who I know were a bit intimidated simply being at the Library itself, but it's so reassuring having someone there to hold your hand and help you build your confidence.

      Delete
  4. Sounds just about perfect. And to think I used to drive through there on a regular basis when I lived in Michigan. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what we used to take for granted, right? I lived in Chicago & worked just blocks away from the Newberry for 8 years. Didn't start going there until after I'd stopped working downtown. O.o

      Delete
  5. Laura, it was so great to meet you during our awesome weekend in Ft. Wayne! I agree with everything you said. The sharing was a wonderful part of the experience. I couldn't help but notice you were always willing to help out with other people's research questions--you have such a giving spirit. Can't wait to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...you're so sweet, Shelley. You know, I just live by the Golden Rule. I know how frustrating and scary it can be to ask questions, especially when you're around people you're not familiar with. I loved meeting you and the group and honestly can't wait to get back together with you all!

      Delete
  6. Love the Allen Co Library. I talked my husband into taking me on a 'vacation' there (we live in Northern VA). He ended up being sucked into researching with me and now goes the FxGS monthly meetings with me. My hubby is now my genealogy buddy.
    Regards,
    Theresa (Tangled Trees)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lucky are YOU?!! And how convenient to have that second pair of eyes *right there* to help you out! Are you going to NGS this year?

      Delete
  7. Laura, so jealous of all of you! Sounds like a great weekend and great idea! My first chance to experience the Ft Wayne library was when we traveled to the city to research my husband's ancestors who lived in Ft Wayne--the library was an added bonus! Now, I wish I could go back. They have so many resources. To be there with so many like-minded online friends--well, I couldn't imagine anything better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's easy to take for granted the resources that are so close to us, truly. And, in reality, if we're near a repository that someone else needs...well, then they think we're especially lucky. Hopefully you'll be able to get back some time soon...and an October/November trip is in the works!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my blog!